Sugar Research Institute (SRI) awards scholarships every year for undergraduates studying engineering (chemical, mechanical, process and electrical), science or technical disciplines at an Australian university or tertiary institution. The SRIS aims to encourage the participation of high calibre students in the Australian sugar processing industry.
SRI will be funding four scholarship recipients in 2018 to be hosted by Australian sugar mills and refineries for three work placements of four weeks each over one and half years (two placements during the crushing season and one placement during maintenance).
Applications for the 2018 Sugar Research Institute Scholarships open on 17 October 2017.
The 2017 scholarship recipients have been announced. Read more
Students undertaking an engineering (chemical, mechanical, process and electrical), science or technical degree at an Australian university or tertiary institution.
Penultimate year domestic students
Engineering (Chemical, Mechanical, Process and Electrical), Science or Technical
Application dates for 2018 Scholarships:
Open date: 17 October 2017
Closing date: 12 March 2018
You must be:
- A penultimate year student undertaking an engineering, science or technical degree at an Australian university or tertiary institution
- Able to undertake three periods of work placement over an 18 month period (12 weeks in total) during semester breaks at an Australian sugar mill location selected by SRI.
- Prior to the commencement of each work placement, the scholarship recipient must be able to successfully complete all medical tests including alcohol and drug testing required by milling company.
You must also be one of:
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen
- A permanent resident
What you receive:
- Total payment of $7,500 (paid in three instalments of $2,500)
- Paid work placement at industry rates and a living away allowance of $250 per week upon the satisfactory completion of each work placement and the submission of a written placement report.
How to apply:
- Complete the application form
- A covering letter and curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of your academic record and academic transcript
- Certified copies of proof of nationality or permanent residence visa
- Letters of reference from at least two referees (must include academic or work experience reference)
What happens next?:
- Applications close on 12 March 2018
- Only students who are successful in being offered a scholarship are notified. There will be no appeals process for unsuccessful applicants
Scholarship recipients must:
- Continue to be enrolled as a full-time student
- Successfully complete all work placement requirements and submit work placement reports
- Successfully complete medical/drug and alcohol testing prior to placement
- Organise and pay for their own travel and accommodation expenses
SRI is a global leader in science and innovation for sugar milling and refining technology. SRI develops innovative products, technical expertise and commercial research services for raw and refined sugar manufacturers worldwide.
In addition to financial and work placement support, the program helps recipients to make the most of their university experience through extra development opportunities by building their leadership skills and professional networks.